After getting FiOS, I logged into the provided Verizon router/wap combo and found that I could edit basic QoS settings.
I enabled QoS on the router and on the “Broadband – Coax” connection (and LAN) I bumped my Netflix streaming blu-ray player to the top of the QoS Queue. I tested out downloading a large file, and simultaneously starting a show on Netflix. As soon as the show started, I saw my file speed decrease, and the show played flawlessly. If you have FiOS and want to do the same here are the quick steps:
1. Log into your FiOS router and click “Advanced” on the top right
2. Click “Quality of Service (QoS) on the left side
3. Under “Broadband Connection (Coax) Rules” click “Add”
4. Under “Destination Address” choose the DNS name of your device
5. Under “Priority” check “Set Priority” and select 5 from the dropdown box (5 is the highest you should set as that is considered “Express Forwarding”. Priorities above 5 are reserved for even more important traffic like routing protocols)
6. Click “Apply” and you are good to go! Feel free to apply this rule to the LAN as well if you have a lot of LAN traffic